Dental Exams & Cleanings
Dental evaluations are conducted by your dentist on your first visit. You can expect your dentist and hygienist to complete the following:
· X-ray diagnostic: These radiographic images will be used to detect decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also provide a map of your mouth. Your dentist will determine each tooth, their roots, and positions.
· Oral cancer screening: Your dentist will inspect areas such as the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for indications of oral cancer.
· Periodontal disease evaluation: The gums and bones surrounding teeth will be inspected for any signs of gum disease.
· Tooth decay exam: each tooth’s surface will be checked for decomposition.
· Restoration and repair exam: previous dental work, fillings, crowns, sealants, will be reviewed.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Dental cleanings are completed by your dental hygienist. Your thorough cleaning exams will have:
· Tartar removal: tartar (calculus) is hardened plaque collected over time. The tartar often settles onto the tooth’s surface, above, or below the gum line. It is extremely difficult to clear and requires special dental tools for removal.
· Plaque removal: Plaque is a biofilm that grows within the mouth. It spreads because of bacteria build-up, food residue, and saliva. It is one of the major causes of tooth decay and periodontal disease.
· Teeth polishing: Eliminate stains and plaque that are difficult to remove with daily brushing.